Introducing solid food to your baby is an exciting and crucial milestone for both you and your little one. As a parent, you want to make sure that the food you give is healthy, nutritious, and easy-to-digest. Purees are an excellent option when it comes to introducing solids as they provide all the necessary nutrients in a soft form that babies can easily chew and swallow. Prunes are loaded with fiber and essential vitamins like Vitamin C, K, niacin, riboflavin that help in digestion.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you on how to make prune puree for your baby.
1) Buy fresh prunes: When preparing prune puree for your baby, always use fresh prunes instead of canned ones. Fresh prunes have more nutritional value than canned ones as they do not contain added sugar or preservatives.
2) Wash the prunes thoroughly: Rinse the prunes under running water to remove any dirt or debris present on them.
3) Soak the prunes: To ensure that the puree is smooth without any lumps or chunks in it- soak them overnight or for 6 hours minimum before boiling them. This will help soften up their flesh which aids in easier blending & mashing later on.
4) Boil/steam the soaked prunes until tender:
Add water into a small saucepan (just enough to cover all of your soaked fruit). Bring this mixture up over medium heat until boiling starts then reduce down by simmering for 5 mins.
Then add whole pitted & rinsed sticky plums back inside pot water mixture; continue cooking time wise till they break apart completely if pressed with spoon ~15 minutes
5) Blend/mash Prune paste
Use either a blender/food processor/handheld immersion stick blender after draining excess liquid from cooked plums using strainer or colander. Mash it well until you get a smooth paste.
6) Store the prune puree for baby:
Store the prune puree in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3-4 days. You can also freeze individual portions of prune puree into ice cube trays, defrost them when needed, & serve your little one as per their demand!
Making homemade prune puree is quick, easy and cost-effective compared to store-bought jars. It’s nutritious and packed with natural fiber that promotes healthy digestion in your baby’s little tummy! We hope this guide helps you make delicious prune purees without any hassle so that both you & your kiddo enjoy mealtime together!