Lilac trees are known for their fragrant and beautiful blooms. If you want to expand your lilac collection or simply start one, propagating a lilac tree is the best way to go. In this blog post, we will discuss how to propagate a lilac tree so that you can enjoy its beauty in your garden.
What is propagation?
Propagation refers to the process of creating new plants from existing ones. Propagation can be done in various ways such as through seeds, cuttings, layering or grafting. When it comes to propagating a lilac tree, taking cuttings is the easiest and most effective method.
How to take cuttings
– Timing: The ideal time for taking cuttings from a lilac tree is during late spring or early summer when new growth appears.
– Locate the right branch: Look for healthy branches that have not bloomed yet.
– Cut: Using sharp pruning shears make an angled cutting at 45 degrees just above where last year’s growth began (around six inches long). Remove any flowers or buds from the branch.
– Prepare cutting: Strip off all leaves except two sets at the top of each stem.
– Dip into rooting hormone: Dip about an inch of stem into rooting hormone powder which helps with root formation
– Planting : Fill pot with dampened soilless mix .Make sure there are no air pockets in soil before planting Lilacs grow well in organic rich matter
Insert cutting into potting mix till half length dips inside soil ,firm lightly around it
Caring for your propagated Lilacs:
Once you have planted your lilac cuttings properly, it’s important that they get enough light but don’t receive too much direct sunlight as this could lead them dying out due high temperatures .
Keep watering regularly keeping moist but not waterlogged.Avoid overwatering which may cause rotting of roots.Maintain humidity by covering pot with plastic bags but with adequate ventilation
When new growth starts appearing, you can transplant them to a larger pot or out into the garden.
Propagating a lilac tree is an exciting process that allows you to grow your own lilac collection. With the right timing and cutting techniques, you can successfully propagate your own lilac trees. Ensure that they get enough light and water to promote healthy growth. Just be patient as it will take time for them to grow into beautiful mature plants. Happy propagating!