How to Recognize and Treat Pothos Poisoning in Dogs

Pothos, also known as Devil’s Ivy, is a popular houseplant praised for its appealing appearance and low maintenance. However, it contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that can be toxic to dogs when ingested. Recognizing and understanding how to treat pothos poisoning is crucial for dog owners who may have this plant in their homes.

Symptoms of Pothos Poisoning

If a dog chews or ingests pothos, the following symptoms may appear:

  1. Excessive Drooling: The irritation caused by the plant can lead to sudden and excessive drooling.
  2. Pawing at the Mouth: The dog may paw at its mouth due to discomfort or pain.
  3. Oral Irritation: The mouth, lips, tongue, and throat may appear red and swollen.
  4. Vomiting: Some dogs may vomit after ingesting pothos.
  5. Difficulty Swallowing: The irritation can make swallowing painful or difficult.

These symptoms can develop within minutes to hours after ingestion. Prompt recognition and action are vital to minimize discomfort and potential complications.

Immediate Actions to Take

  1. Remove Plant Material: If possible, gently remove any remaining plant material from the dog’s mouth, taking care not to cause further injury or be bitten.
  2. Rinse the Mouth: If the dog allows it, gently rinsing the mouth with water may help alleviate some discomfort.
  3. Contact Your Veterinarian: It’s essential to call your veterinarian or a pet poison hotline as soon as possible, even if symptoms seem mild. They can provide specific guidance based on your pet’s situation.
  4. Do Not Induce Vomiting: Without a veterinarian’s instruction, do not induce vomiting, as this can sometimes cause further complications.

Treatment and Recovery

Treatment for pothos poisoning is generally supportive and may include the following:

  • Veterinary Evaluation: Your vet may perform a thorough oral examination to assess the extent of irritation or damage.
  • Pain Management: Pain medication or anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed if the irritation is severe.
  • Monitoring: Keeping an eye on your dog’s eating, drinking, and overall behavior is crucial during recovery. Your vet may advise feeding soft food for a few days to minimize discomfort.

Preventing Pothos Poisoning

  • Keep Pothos Out of Reach: Place pothos plants in locations where dogs cannot access them, such as high shelves or hanging planters.
  • Educate Yourself and Others: Make sure all family members, especially children, know about the dangers of pothos to pets.
  • Consider Other Plants: If you have a particularly curious dog, it might be wise to choose pet-friendly plants instead.


Pothos poisoning in dogs is usually not life-threatening but can cause significant discomfort. Recognizing the signs and knowing how to respond can help ensure your dog’s well-being. Consult with your veterinarian, keep pothos out of your dog’s reach, and consider alternative plants to maintain a safe and vibrant indoor garden that both you and your furry friend can enjoy.